Alamo Rental Car Discounts & Coupons
LAST UPDATE: 12/6/13
Looking for an Alamo car rental coupon or Alamo discount? On this page I’ve compiled Alamo rental car discounts, codes and coupons that can potentially save you a hundred dollars or more on a one-week Alamo car rental!
To see codes and coupons for other rental car companies, plus general advice about renting a car, click here.
- Locations for Disney World, Disneyland and Aulani
- Avoiding the Counter
- Additional Drivers
- Alamo Discounts, Codes and Coupons
Walt Disney World (Orlando, Florida)
Alamo is located on property at the Orlando airport (MCO). You can just walk right out to the garage to pick up your car.
Disneyland (Anaheim, California)
Alamo is located on airport property in Orange County, CA (SNA).
Alamo has a regular shuttle at the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
Alamo also has a location at Disneyland (California), in Downtown Disney near the AMC movie theater.
Disney’s Aulani Resort (Oahu, Hawaii)
Alamo is located off property at the Honolulu airport (HNL). You’ll take a shuttle ride to the rental car lot.
Many MouseSavers.com readers have reported extremely long lines at the Alamo counter, especially in Orlando, because it is the official rental car company for Walt Disney World. Try the strategies below.
Alamo allows you to bypass the rental counter if you check in at the self-service kiosks or online.
- The check-in kiosks are VERY easy to use and a lot of people ignore them, so there is seldom a wait to use one. You can save a ton of time this way. To check in at the self-service kiosk you need to have a valid driver’s license, a major credit card, and an advance reservation. You show your rental agreement and driver’s license (and any coupon you may be using) at the exit booth in the parking garage. Thanks to Dan M for info.
- For some locations, you can check in online in advance and print out your paperwork at home. If the location allows this, you’ll go directly to the aisle where your car type is located, and choose your own car. Then you present the paperwork, your credit card and driver’s license at the gate. I’ve had mixed success with this system (one location that was listed as participating really wasn’t), but when it works, it’s a time-saver. No membership is required to check in online, but it saves a little time if you register for a free membership to the Alamo website (when you log in, some parts of the online check-in form will be pre-filled).
Save more on car rentals to spend more on fun. Join Alamo Insiders for free and save 10% or more on every car rental!
I recommend joining the FREE Alamo Insiders program before your trip. If you don’t use the kiosks or online check-in for some reason, it may reduce your time in line, and it has other benefits:
- Alamo Insiders get an everyday 10% discount on rentals (which can’t be combined with other discounts or coupons). This discount comes from the pre-filled Insiders ID#. You can change this to another ID# if that gives you a better discount (see below), but this is a nice benefit if there are no other discounts available when you’re traveling.
- From time to time, Alamo Insiders members get access to exclusive discount IDs and coupons.
- Alamo Insiders members don’t have to pay an additional driver fee.
Thanks to Paul W and Julie P for info.
With Alamo, all additional drivers will pay a daily fee of approximately $10 per day unless they are traveling with someone who is an Alamo Insider or have rented under a Corporate Contract Agreement.
Alamo Insiders members in the United States are allowed to add one additional driver without a fee. The additional driver may only be added to the contract at a rental location (in Orlando, this can be at the booth on the way out of the garage, or at a rental counter — if you try to do it at a kiosk, you’ll be charged the fee).
Exception states that allow a spouse to be an “Automatic” Authorized Driver under all circumstances are California, Illinois, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon, and Wisconsin. There is no additional fee for the spouse to drive the vehicle in these states.
All other additional authorized driver situations are subject to a daily charge.
Alamo is unusual among rental car companies in allowing you to “stack” multiple discounts when you book online. It offers discounts associated with Corporate/Membership IDs and coupons. Learn how to combine these discounts by clicking here.
- Discounted Orlando Rentals Through Undercover Tourist
- Prepay and Save
- Last Minute Rentals
- IDs, Corporate IDs and Membership IDs
- UK Discount Sources
I’ve been recommending Undercover Tourist for years. This totally reliable ticket broker offers excellent prices on its easy-to-navigate site, as well as special discounts exclusively for MouseSavers Newsletter readers. Undercover Tourist is contracted, licensed, and officially authorized by Walt Disney World and other attractions (including Universal Orlando, SeaWorld and the major dinner shows) to sell discounted tickets that are new and genuine.
Undercover Tourist now offers fantastic deals on Alamo car rentals along with your ticket purchase!
Their rates are usually even lower than Alamo’s Prepay and Save rates. So if you plan to buy tickets for your Disney World, Universal Orlando and/or SeaWorld Orlando vacation, be sure to price out Alamo rates on the Undercover Tourist site as well.
- Click here to visit Undercover Tourist and check their great Alamo rentals packaged with attraction tickets. (Rental car option appears in the cart after you add at least one ticket.)
Get an extra 10% off the lowest rates when you book your rental at Alamo.com and prepay in full. A cancellation fee is charged to your credit card if you cancel a prepaid reservation. 24-hour advance reservation required.
Personally I don’t ever use this option, because it locks you into a rate, making it expensive to change if you find a better rate later. And I almost always find a better rate later! Prepay and Save is probably best used for very last-minute reservations.
Additionally, MouseSavers.com reader Lisa R points out that “if you use the pre-pay option with Alamo, it may negate member benefits (Costco, etc), such as unlimited miles, free additional driver, etc. I used Costco’s corporate ID to get a great base rate with Alamo. When I added the pre-pay code, it lowered the total but the ‘One Free Additional Driver’ benefit disappeared from the confirmation page. I called Alamo and they said that the pre-pay option voided the free driver benefit from Costco. Given that additional drivers costs an average of $10 PER DAY, it may not be worth it to go with the pre-pay option.”
If you are departing in the next week or so, it’s worthwhile to check Alamo’s Last Minute Specials page to see if your destination is on sale. If you choose this option it will insert the ID# IG, so you won’t be able to use any of the other IDs below. However, you can add a coupon code if you qualify for one.
Alamo ID numbers are numbers issued to various businesses and organizations that offer a standard discount to their employees/members. Alamo has many Contract IDs out there, some of which will give you a discount of up to 20% (5%-10% is more usual). Some of the Alamo IDs that are worth trying out are listed below.
To use these IDs, first try the provided link, which may fill in the ID code. If not, go to the Alamo website and click on the red Reservations button. Enter your location, date and time, and type an ID into the appropriate ID box. (Note that some IDs will only work in the ID/Corporate ID box, and some will only work in the Membership ID box. It’s not always clear which is which, so if an ID isn’t working, try the other box.)
Be sure to try your dates first using no ID so that you know what the base rate would be, and then try any IDs below for which you qualify, to see if that gives you a better discount. Occasionally the best rate is the plain old “web rate” without any codes at all.
Important note: Alamo‘s site displays ID discounts in Step 3 of the reservation, as a line item. Be sure to continue the reservation process to Step 3 for each ID you try, in order to see the discount amount that will be applied, if any.
IDs Open to Anyone
- No current offers.
IDs That Require Membership
IDs for use by Alamo Insiders only (free to join):
- Save 15% on AIRPORT rentals in Florida, California, Hawaii, Phoenix or Las Vegas. Go to the Alamo web site and use Contract ID# SUNPROMO. No physical coupon required. Valid on rentals through 12/15/13.
Other membership-related IDs:
- Alaska Airlines ID# is 7015013. You must belong to this airline’s frequent flyer program to qualify for discounts with Alamo, but it’s free to join.
- American Airlines ID# is 7014136. You must belong to this airline’s AAdvantage frequent flyer program to qualify for discounts with Alamo, but it’s free to join.
- Continental Airlines ID# is 7014139. You must belong to this airline’s frequent flyer program to qualify for discounts with Alamo, but it’s free to join.
- Delta Airlines ID# is 7014133. You must belong to this airline’s frequent flyer program to qualify for discounts with Alamo, but it’s free to join.
- United Airlines ID# is 7014135. You must belong to this airline’s frequent flyer program to qualify for discounts with Alamo, but it’s free to join.
- Visa Cardholders get up to 20% off rentals at Alamo. Visit the Visa discounts website to get the ID#. You must use your Visa card to rent the car.
- Disney World Annual Passholders get up to 20% off rentals at Alamo. Use ID#provided in your pass sleeve or on the Passholder website.
- Warehouse clubs such as Costco and BJ’s Wholesale Club may offer discounts on Alamo to their members. If you are a member, see the store for specific ID#s.
- Military and Federal Government ID# GOVRNR is for active duty and retired military personnel, military family members with dependent ID and Federal government employees, who are traveling for leisure (not official duty). A valid military or government ID card must be presented when you pick up the car. Thanks to Missy, Shelli & Deborah N for this info.
Alamo‘s coupons for “weekly” rentals generally apply only if you stay for at least 5 days, which must include a Saturday night. Alamo’s “weekend” coupons usually apply only if you stay over a Friday and Saturday for less than 3 or 4 days. If your rental is doesn’t fall into those categories and you can’t use a coupon, be sure to try out various IDs in order to get a good base rate.
Most coupons issued by Alamo are electronic and do not require a physical coupon. Some other coupons listed below will require a printout or paper coupon. Be sure to take it with you when renting the car. Most coupons will list a specific ID to be used along with the coupon code, but dozens of readers report using their coupons with IDs other than the ones specified.
To use these coupon codes, first try the provided link, which may fill in the coupon code. If not, go to the Alamo website and click on the red Reservations button. Enter your location, date and time, and type a coupon code into the Coupon Code box.
Important note: Alamo‘s site displays coupon discounts in Step 3 of the reservation, as a line item. Be sure to continue the reservation process to Step 3 for each coupon you try, in order to see the discount amount that will be applied, if any.
Alamo Coupons Open to Anyone
- Save $25 on weekly rentals of $175 or more. Go to the Alamo website and use the coupon code AD2893AND when booking. No physical coupon required. Minimum 5-day rental. Valid on rentals through 12/22/13.
- Get $10 off weekend rentals of an Economy car or higher. Go to the Alamo website and use the coupon code AD2822SJG when booking. No physical coupon required. Minimum 3-day rental; maximum 5-day rental. A Saturday night keep is required. Valid on rentals through 12/22/13.
- Get a FREE upgrade when you rent a Compact through Midsize car. Go to the Alamo website and use the coupon code AU5235ASJ when booking. No physical coupon required. Valid on rentals through 8/14/14, but holidays and other blackout dates may apply. Book by 7/31/14.
Alamo Coupons Requiring Membership
Coupons for use by Alamo Insiders only (free to join):
- Save up to $25 on weekly rentals. Go to the Alamo website and use the coupon code AD2845VAN when booking. Get $5, $10, $15, $20 or $25 off the weekly rental in which the time and mileage charge is at least $155, $160, $165, $170 or $175, respectively, after the Alamo Insiders discount is applied. No physical coupon required. Minimum 5-day rental. Valid on rentals through 12/22/13.
- Get $10 off weekend rentals of an Economy car or higher. Go to the Alamo website and use the coupon code AD2824JWD when booking. No physical coupon required. Minimum 3-day rental; maximum 5-day rental. A Saturday night keep is required. Valid on rentals through 12/22/13.
- Get a FREE upgrade when you rent a Compact through Midsize car. Go to the Alamo website and use the coupon code AU5224JAB when booking. No physical coupon required. Valid on rentals through 8/14/14, but holidays and other blackout dates may apply. Book by 7/31/14.
Other membership-related coupons:
- Warehouse clubs such as Costco and BJ’s Wholesale Club may offer Alamo coupons to their members. If you are a member, see the store for coupons.
- Visa often has coupon codes for Alamo. Visit the Visa discounts website to see what is currently offered. You must use your Visa card to rent the car.
- Go to the Alamo website. In the yellow booking window in the upper left, click on the link that says “More Options click here.”
- Type in your location, date, time and car type information.
- If you are a Alamo Insiders member, enter your Member ID and last name in the provided spaces.
- Type an ID number in the correct space. (An ID# may already be in that space. You may want to try other ID#s because some give better discounts than others.)
- Type ONE coupon code (if available) in the Coupon Code space.
You should receive up to two discounts — the ID# and Coupon discounts.
Most coupons will list a specific ID# to be used along with the coupon code, but dozens of readers report using their coupons with ID#s other than the ones specified. I myself have successfully combined discounts from different sources (such as a coupon code from an airline frequent flyer program and an ID# from AAA) dozens of times without any problems.
Be aware that codes are subject to capacity controls. If too many other people have already reserved cars during the time you’re traveling, you may not be able to use your codes.
- Alamo’s UK site often offers excellent deals on Florida and California rentals, inclusive of unlimited mileage, CDW (collision damage waiver), state/local taxes, state/local surcharges, airport fees and sometimes even a full tank of petrol!
- UK residents may want to check Alamo rates at Nova Car, an international rental car booking site. Reader Cleve N reports that he got phenomenal rates at Christmastime through this site. You do have to pay a 15% deposit up front, and a reader reports that you MUST have a UK driving license to pick up the car.