Opening of New Fantasyland at Walt Disney World
BY MARY WARING – JANUARY 2013
New Fantasyland is the largest expansion in the history of Magic Kingdom. It is opening in phases.
The Storybook Circus section of New Fantasyland opened on March 12, 2012. It includes:
- Dumbo, the Flying Elephant, with Dumbo spinning clockwise for the first time in Magic Kingdom history
- The Barnstormer, Featuring The Great Goofini, a family coaster attraction featuring Mickey’s best pal
- Casey Jr. Splash ‘N’ Soak Station, a circus-themed water play area
- the redone Fantasyland Train Station
The official opening of Enchanted Forest in New Fantasyland took place on December 6, 2012. Enchanted Forest attractions and experiences include:
- Under the Sea~Journey of the Little Mermaid – This musical attraction allows you to enter Prince Eric’s castle, board a giant clamshell and rock out
- Be Our Guest Restaurant, where you can feast in one of 3 incredible dining rooms in the middle of Beast’s Castle
- Enchanted Tales with Belle, hosted by Belle and Lumière, offers a lively retelling of the “tale as old as time”
- Ariel’s Grotto, where you can take photos and get autographs with everyone’s favorite undersea princess
Princess Fairytale Hall is scheduled to open in 2013. This elegant royal court will be home to Disney princesses who are ready to meet their subjects. Located in the Castle Courtyard in the center of Fantasyland, Princess Fairytale Hall’s castle-like entrance will feature walls of stone and stained glass windows opening up into a large gallery — an airy space with a high ceiling — where portraits of the Disney princesses adorn the walls. When it’s time for their audience with a princess, guests will proceed to elegantly finished chambers to meet Aurora, Cinderella and other Disney princesses, such as Tiana and Rapunzel.
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is expected to open in 2014. Embark on an exhilarating journey inspired by the classic Disney film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will take guests on a rollicking, musical ride into the mine “where a million diamonds shine.” This family-style coaster will feature a first-of-its-kind ride system with a train of vehicles that swing back and forth, responding to every twist and turn of the track. The journey will be accompanied by music from the classic Disney film and animated figures of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.