How to Rent a Car at Walt Disney World
We are frequently asked how someone can rent a car for one or two days in the Disney World area. A lot of times people plan to use their hotel’s transportation system to get to and from the Disney parks, but they are interested in doing something outside of Disney during the trip (such as visiting Universal, SeaWorld or the local Disney outlet stores) and the cheapest and easiest way is to rent a car. Car rentals in Orlando tend to be fairly inexpensive: rates of $30-$50 a day (plus fees) are not uncommon, and we’ve seen occasional weekend deals as low as $15 a day.
Car Rental Locations on Disney Property
There are numerous places on Disney property where you can pick up and drop off a rental car. Use the links below, or check our Rental Car Discounts pages, to shop around for the best deals at all of the rental car companies. Reserve your rental car in advance (it’s usually best to make a car rental reservation online to get the best rates) for pick-up and drop-off at a convenient location. Then follow the directions below to pick up your vehicle at the car rental location that offers the best rate.
- Alamo and National have several locations on Disney property because Alamo is the “official” rental car company of Walt Disney World, and National is owned by the same company.
- If you are staying at a Disney resort, the easiest option is to rent a car from the Walt Disney World Car Care Center, which is operated by Alamo (location ORLR72) and National (location ORLR02). The Car Care Center offers a shuttle that will pick you up from any Disney hotel and take you to the Center to pick up your car. The shuttle will also drop you off at your Disney hotel after you return your car. If you wish, call the Car Care Center up to 24 hours in advance and arrange for them to send a shuttle for you. Alternatively, go to the front desk of your Disney resort about 30 minutes before your pickup time and ask them to call the Car Care Center shuttle. The phone number of the Car Care Center is (407) 824-3470.
- Another location on Disney property for Alamo and National is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel (Alamo location ORLR74; National location ORLR13). From any of the theme parks or Disney Springs, take a Disney bus to the Dolphin. The Alamo/National office at the Dolphin keeps short hours, but you can drop off your car to the hotel’s valets after hours. The phone number of Dolphin’s Alamo/National desk is (407) 934-4930.
- Open to the military only (active duty and retired, with ID), there is a location on Disney property for Alamo and National at Shades of Green (Alamo location ORLR82; National location ORLR12). The phone number for the Shades of Green Alama/National desk is (888) 826-6893.
- The final on-property location for National is Buena Vista Palace (location ORLR03), near Disney Springs. Take a Disney bus from any of the Disney resorts to Disney Springs. Get off at the Marketplace stop, then walk across the street to Buena Vista Palace. The phone number of Buena Vista Palace’s National desk is (407) 827-6363.
- Avis has a location at Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista (location LB3) near Disney Springs. Some people have reported that this location was willing to send transportation to pick them up from a local hotel. If not, you can take a Disney bus from any of the Disney resorts to Disney Springs. Get off at the Marketplace stop, then walk across the street to the Hilton. The phone number of the Hilton’s Avis desk is (407) 827-2847.
- Budget has a location at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton in the Walt Disney World Resort (location M03) near Disney Springs. You can take a Disney bus from any of the Disney resorts to Disney Springs. Get off at the Marketplace stop, then walk across the street and up Hotel Plaza Blvd to Doubletree Guest Suites. It’s about a mile. Alternatively, you can take a taxi from Disney Springs, which should cost around $5. The phone number of Doubletree Guest Suites’ Budget desk is (407) 827-6089.
If you will be staying off-site, check with your hotel to see if they offer a rental car desk. If not, many of the larger convention hotels off Disney property have a car rental location. Some of them may offer shuttle service, so if you’re staying fairly nearby, call and see if they’ll pick you up. Some may offer to pay some or all of your taxi fare to get to/from the location – again, call to check.
Once you’ve identified locations that will work for you, use the links above, or check our Rental Car Discounts pages, to shop around for the best deals at all of the rental car companies. Reserve your rental car in advance; it’s usually best to do this online to get the best rates.